Monday, January 28, 2013

Manuel García


I scarcely ever write or showcase on this blog what is my everyday environment, Chile. It is partly due to the fact that I have been traveling all over the place for the last few months, but now that I'm back here (and to stay!) it's time to start. After all, living in a place like Chile -one thus gifted with a culture rich in music, poetry, and humanity- is a gift, and it would be a pity that I didn't share it with others.

Anyways, the thought is only a preface to what this post is really about. Last Friday, I went to a concert! Yayy! Hurrah!! (Any concert has to be celebrated by exclamations of happiness such as those, of course.) The singer was Manuel García, and it wasn't in Santiago, the city where I live, but in Viña del Mar, a city next to the sea side, about an hour and a half away in which I, along with millions of other people, spend our vacations. (Viña is Spanish for vineyard, which Chile has a lot of, and del Mar means "of the sea.")

I like Manuel García because he is somewhat the epitome of the traditional Chilean musician. In general, Chilean musicians play folk music, are very socially conscious, and do not like to be put in the spotlight of fame. There are, of course, many exceptions to these rules, but Manuel García, along with the other guest musicians at Friday's concert (Eduardo Gatti, Chinoy, Gepe), are not one of them.

I didn't love Manuel's new album, but that's okay, because his old songs are really great:





After the concert, my friend, Debbie, and I, roamed through nighttime Viña. We gasped at the huge waves, observed the night life of the city, and smiled farewell at Deb's eighteenth birthday.







Anyways, if you are interested in more Chilean music I would be glad to make an 8tracks playlist, just leave a comment! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...