Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Another Poetry Reading

(This is an old post that I wrote for my previous blog, The Years of the Nobel.)

So much depends
upon


a red wheel
barrow


glazed with rain
water


beside the white
chickens.



This is a poem by William Carlos Williams, written in 1923. A poem in a sentence, a sentence in a poem. 

What is magical about a poem that could just be considered a sentence, a sentence that could have nothing special about it?
The color.
The consonants.
The stillness.
The vagueness.


Everybody is entitled to their opinion. And mine is that this poem is magic.

The consonants.

SSSSo muCH DePeNDSSSS uPoN
a RRRed WWWeel BaRRoW...

And the color! The color!
Red and white and glazed
You could say that without counting articles and such, color and images are 3/16 of the poem

I love it so much, in fact, that I did a recording of me reading it:


Untitled from NobelReader on Vimeo.



And here's a professional Youtube recording (by the author himself):



What is your favorite poem at the moment?? I would love to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...