Wednesday, February 20, 2013

We Can All Make It

I hope that everything one of my (few) readers has at some point seen a Ted talk. Especially because I have a particularly bright collection of readers. And I don't know how they do it at TED, but every single one of their talks are beyond amazing. Illuminating is more like it.

I'm saying all of this because I was just moved to tears by Alex Day. Fine, it's not hard to move me to tears, but how insane is it that Alex Day, a witty, sarcastic, handsome, funny musician made me cry. I would understand if John Green's talk made me cry -which it didn't- but why should Alex Day's?

Enough with the rhetorical questions now, because I have the answer.

He made me cry because he is just like every one of us, but should serve as role model to all. We teenagers live in an era of our lives where we are forced to make all the decisions without any of the preparation. And we have dreams, we have passions, but we are all so doubtful of discovering that we have woken up and the dream was left back in REM state. I, for example, know that I want to become a writer, hopefully someday a published author. But why should I insert the adverb in that otherwise energizing sentence? Because I am scared. I am scared that I will not be able to pay the bills with an English major, I am scared of not being able to give my future children the education, healthcare, or opportunities that I had because I made a selfish and misguided decision when I was still young and naïve. Few people in my life know that I want to become a writer, because I keep it a secret. The knowledge that any day now I might chicken out and study medicine, like everyone expects me to, stops me in my tracks from being honest every time someone asks me what I want to be when I "grow up." Hello, world, I am 17, only a child still but not the child I used to be, am I supposed to make a sane decision NOW?

Yes. That's what Alex Day taught me in his TED talk. Yes, yes, yes. It seems crazy and impossible, but I am smart, I have the tools, and I have the drive, so the only thing that is stopping me is the fear of failure. I can do it all if only I want it so hard that I will work and work and keep on working, until the day comes in which I will discover that I have accomplished my dream to be a writer.

And so can you.





Ps. I'm sorry about not being able to enbed the video, but I'm on the iPad! It's on Youtube, you can find the TEDtalk there.

1 comment:

  1. have you seen the ted talk by brene brown on the power of vulnerability? that one is good and so is the teen one that tavi gevinson did. i first heard about these talks at school when we had to watch one by plan b. how did you? x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...