Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Manic Pixie Dream Girl

A picture of me taken a few years back.
Disclaimer: I do not believe in all the statements that say that the Manic Pixie Dream Girl archetype is mysoginistic. Yes, it at times can be used in mysoginistic forms, such as the one that presents the girl just as a vehicle for the boy to develop. But, come on, it's fiction and an archetype. Like, stop losing focus and getting hot over nothing.

Alaska in Looking for Alaska. Margo Roth Spiegelman in Paper Towns. Summer in 500 Days of Summer. Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Zelda Fitzgerald. All Manic Pixie Dream Girls. All awe provoking, all complex and difficult to understand, all beautiful and admirable and oh so distant.

Perhaps my favorite is Alaska. What with the bedroom submerged in books, but without the time to read them all because life is too interesting. The brilliance, the confidence, drinking wine out in an open field whilst reading Cat's Cradle, the rebelliousness.

I love how not one of them (except maybe Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly) is perfectly beautiful but beautiful in a way that you can't quite grasp.

Arguable, of course, but I mantain that Anne from Anne of Green Gables, especially in the first few books, is an archetype of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl, and she was born about a century before the term was coined.

And I can't help being uncontrollably drawn to them. I want to be like them.

I want nobody to understand me. I want boys to fall in love with the idea of me, because they can't understand the parabollic mood swings or the furious bouts of hyperventillation, or anything.

The idea with which I will conclude this veeeery narcisistic blog post is that maybe all I'm missing from the MPDGs is the courage. I have all the rest (crazy hair, mood swings, quirks.) Probably what I'm missing is the spark of adrenaline that will lead me to run away from home and to return at 5 AM, to pull a prank at school and giggle at its effects without feeling the almost morbid guilt.

And maybe, above all the rest, I want to be his Manic Pixie Dream Girl. I want him to try to understand him, I want to drag him on my crazy adventures, I want to be spontaneous and unpredictable with just him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...