Tuesday, April 23, 2013

John Green as my Pen Pal



It's probably ridiculous to write a letter to such a popular writer.

But we do a whole lot of ridiculous things in life, because, in poetic terms, they're "cathartic." In real terms, they're fun.

It's fun to stand at the back of a pick-up truck while listening to Asleep and driving through a tunnel. It's fun to make out with vampires. It's fun to go searching for Horcruxes and save the world from impending evil.

Okay, who knows.

But it is cathartic to ask for advice and outpour your grievances onto someone you know to be wise and  possibly god-like. (Although, as The Fault in our Stars should have taught us, this is not necessarily the case!) And, as much as I wish I followed my Hipster Bible's commandments and pretended disdain over a popular YA author, I love John Green. Not as much as JK Rowling, but getting there.

It was soothing to tell him that I want to be an author, yet see no hope for myself. It was soothing to tell him that I feel stuck in 17, that it's an age where I'm not permitted to do all the things that I want to do. Because I want to do EVERYTHING, just to know, and maybe if I know, I'll have something worthwhile to write about.

And I haven't even mailed it yet. But that's not the point.

I doubt John Green was going to read it anyways.

1 comment:

  1. Nah, I wouldn't say it's ridiculous. If nothing else you get that check on your list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...