Friday, April 19, 2013

Literary Crush: Dorothy Parker


A few years ago, while going through a bout of Dorothy Parker fever, I created the mess of a page showcased above, in hopes that the paper shrine would soothe my fever.

Unfortunately, it didn't.

Or should I rather say fortunately, because this witty, sarcastic, BRILLIANT woman has been an inspiration to me for a few years now. Not only is she an amazing poet and writer, but was also a beautiful advocate of equality and tolerance, whether she wanted it or not, in an age where women couldn't even vote! (At least, in Chile they couldn't. I'm not really sure when women's suffrage was legalized in the US.)

And she did this all without losing the spark of honesty and realism that characterizes her work. She writes about her flaws and romantic misadventures with all the zest of Adele but with all the brilliant sarcasm of a stand-up comedian. I believe that figures such as Tina Fey or Ellen deGeneres are modern commercial copies of what is this brilliant model, Dorothy Parker. Yet nothing can dream of attempting to overshadow the original.

I love you, Dorothy Parker. I love your poems and I love your stories, but above all else, I love you, the character that exists in my mind and hopefully once did in reality too, of a powerful, smart, honest woman.

I can only hope to have you as a friend when I close my eyes at night, but regardless, thank you for being such a great mentor!




Typed "Dorothy Parker" into Google images and got too many amazing pictures to choose just one.

4 comments:

  1. Dorothy. Parker.
    If I where Dorothy Parker, I could come up with something awesome to say about the awsomeness of Dorothy Parker. But I'm not, so I'm getting depressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that this comment is more than Dorothy Parker material!

      Delete
  2. Hi! I just found your blog via Rookie and it's pretty rad that you live in Chile - I'm from Brazil and I love finding Rookie girls from Latin America! haha represent :) and your blog is A+!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love hearing stories about these strong women, & she sounds like a lovely soul. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...