Thursday, May 23, 2013

Action: Poetry



You know those projects that, upon hearing about them, you go "awww, shucks, I wish I would have come up with that idea!" Well, this is one of them.

For those of you wondering if living in Chile stifles creativity or culture in any way, the answer is absolutely no. (I used to go to an international school, so I know that sometimes people outside of Latin America don't really know what it's like within Latin America. Most of the time it's pretty cool, but I'm talking solely about Chile, as I've only visited Peru and Argentina and it's different from a tourist's point of view.) Chile couldn't be a bigger spark for culture! As a matter of fact, it's a bonfire!

I've already talked about Chile's music, and all the cultural activities that Santiago offers, so today I'm going to talk about a matter that is especially dear to my heart: Chilean poetry.

Chile has had hundreds of gifted poets across its history, some of my favorites being Pablo Neruda, Vicente Huidobro, Gabriela Mistral, and Gonzalo Rojas. In effect, poetry is a big part of what we are as a nation. One of my recent discoveries is perhaps the most beautiful demonstration of that.

Acción Poética en Chile, which translates to Poetic Action in Chile, is an organization or, who knows, maybe even just a person, that walks through the streets of Chile painting on its walls poetic messages. Here are some of my favorites:

(I'm going to try translating them as best as I can, but translating poetry is hard!)
Give me your hand
for the universe
is expanding


Only the kisses
will close
our mouths

That the brightness of the city
does not take away your stars


(One of the nice things about Latin America is that, in most cases, street art is not only tolerated, but at times even embraced. Perhaps the greatest exponent of this beautiful phenomenon is Valparaíso.)

I love this project because it fills our streets and world with words of inspiration, and not just that, words of poetry, and if there is anything more beautiful than that, please someone tell me about it because I want to hear their arguments.

Anyways, fortunately, someone is already doing this where I live, but I want to invite you to fetch inspiration from this beautiful project and start something like this. It doesn't have to be street art, if you're scared by it. Put up posters of beautiful poems in your school, or leave notes with poems in the textbooks you hand in at the end of the year. And if you dare, then do it. You will not only be doing a great favour for your commmunity by filling it with words of beauty, but you will also do a favour to street artists across the world by representing them with a serious project. And if you do anything of the sort, please don't forget to share!

Anyways, if you're interested and want to keep on checking out this beautiful project, click on the following link:

http://accionpoeticaenchile.tumblr.com/

Have a day full of kissses and stars and love!
Ana

2 comments:

  1. wow this is so beautiful! it really makes me want to visit chile. street art isn't common in the u.k, it's quite dull here compared to latin america and vandalism seems more common. do you get a lot of vandalism/graffiti in your country? this is such a great idea, oh my gosh.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! spanish is such a lovely language :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...