Thursday, November 7, 2013

Grievances I Do Not Feel (For a Change)



I am turning 18 and I couldn't give a greater shit.

Ok, yes, I was going to have a cool party with a DJ and tons of people invited and booze, and that didn't work out just because I gave up listening to my Dad's nagging, but, other than that, I couldn't give a shit.

I think I've told this story before, but birthdays are a time for retelling; the reason this blog came unto being was because I was a few short weeks from turning 17, and in Math class (because Math class for me is a creative space, as I am wont to be thinking about anything but math) I had a friggin' epiphany and it was all like "man, I'm turning 17... and have done nothing with my life yet. Like, SE Hinton wrote The Outsiders at 16." So I created this blog to at least feel like I was blogging. (For some reason, I always feel useful when I'm blogging, even if I should be studying instead. It's like I'm veritably leaving something to posterity.)

Anyhow, conclusion: This blog exists because I was turning 17 and felt that I hadn't done anything with my life. Now, I'm turning 18, and I feel whatever. (Yes, I did so just turn whatever into an adjective.)

This year, I've done a bunch of crap that makes me feel like I'm on the right track.

I've written a shitload.

I've read less than usual but enough.

I've blogged. Not as steadily as one would wish, but I've blogged.

I've learned, I've grown, I've gotten better at playing the guitar, and at being less socially awkward.

I haven't stopped for a second, and I regret nothing. Ok, maybe I regret a few things, but they're mostly late night anxiety Oreo-binges.

Anyways, I might be turning 18 and not have done something great yet, but I just might be on the right track.

Tommorow's birthday-day, and yes: Besides my excitement for cake, I couldn't give a shit.

2 comments:

  1. i know exactly what you mean and i have quite a similar attitude to birthdays - it's not exactly antipathy, but i really just can't make as big a deal out of it as everybody wants me to. when i get to my birthday i reflect on where i'm going and where i want to go, but other than that, it's just another day.
    i do hope you don't not-enjoy your birthday tomorrow though. :-)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your blog is useful, I enjoy reading it - like I like this post a lot because I really relate to it. Happy Birthday, hope you enjoy the cake :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...