Wednesday, February 4, 2015

On Privilege

Starbucks, perhaps the ultimate symbol of privilege, and, at the same time, my guiltiest vice. Perhaps even more so than smoking.

As regular readers of this little piece of Internet World might have been able to tell, I was born privileged. Furthermore, I was born privileged in a country were the stakes are highly, highly, HIGHLY against in you the lottery of being born privileged.

But I was lucky, and I have never had to worry about money. Never. I have had the fortune of travel, of a stable home, of money not being an impediment when I decide what and where to study.

I feel guilt. I did nothing to deserve so much comfort.

But as most people who have given privilege a thought will know, guilt scarcely ever helps. It might do so in the sense that you're conscious of it and with said consciousness, have a certain desire for things to be different. But unless you do anything active to change an unfair, unjust, segregating system, then guilt can help little.

I wanted to be a teacher. I wanted to give back all that was given to me, and in the way I thought purest of them all -through education, and with children, the stockholders of humanity's future. I really, really, wanted to.

But I didn't choose to.

I was so embarrassed to tell you guys -as a matter of fact, I've told few friends. Most of them, in the end, have found out. It's hard to hide the fact that you're entering Law School in a few weeks.

What went wrong? Didn't I want to make this world a better place? Why, then, choose a career where some people really want to make a difference but seldom do? Where passionate and intelligent people are much more easily found than in an area, say, as education? (Especially in Chile, my poor old unfair country.)

I don't know. I just freaked out. I didn't want to be a "Literature Student" with the artsy fartsy connotation, and I felt so intimidated by failing at something that I really, really cared about. If I ever am able to trully pinpoint why I made this decision, you will know.

Honestly, I wish I could do slightly more than this random blathering that seems like me apologizing but really isn't.

Because, I promise, dear readers, if I was privileged, it will not have been in vain. I'm going to use all the facilities that life has granted me, to help. And I sincerely hope, that if you won the lottery as I did, you're gonna do so to.

Wish you the most sincere luck and, more importantly, perseverance,
Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...